Monday, September 10, 2012

The Modern Geisha

There is no look more profound for people with monolids than the "Geisha" look. With Doris' unique features, we managed to bring  the traditional Japanese look together with the progressive western fashion. The east and the west came together as one style to create an exotic, elegant, yet casual composition.

An old-fashioned and conventional geisha would be wearing substantial theater makeup. This necessitates the traditional pale skin with a heavy emphasis on vibrant pink eye shadows and a bold red lip. Black eyeliner would be used to hide double eyelids or emphasize the monolids. Heavily-filled in brows would then complete the look.
 





Model: Doris
Photography: Carmen

On the outfit and makeup (Carmen): 
Keeping with the theme, I chose a wrap dress to compliment D's figure.  I didn't want the outfit to be overcrowded with the floral designs so I decided to transform it into a top. By tucking the bottom into the shorts, the look seemed less ceremonial. I chose not to include any accessories in order to bring out the beautiful print of the dress, therefore plain tights were preferred. The bag and the shoes brought out the much needed warmth from the otherwise "cool" palette of colors.

Geishas have extremely pale, white skin, with exaggerated eye makeup, and red lips. Doris' complexion was just perfect for this look! To keep with tradition, eyeshadow was kept to a less intense. Light pink and light orange were used together with a light hand. This was to prevent it from overpowering the colours of the outfit. I decided to exaggerate the eyeliner, and have it thickened to emphasize her eyes. Blush was kept to a golden pink hue. As a finishing touch, I wanted the colour of the lips to be coral, as this would connect nicely.

On the hair and nails (Doris):
 Since the beginning, the trademark geisha hairstyle has always been a big bun adorned with traditional Japanese ornament strips. The level of skill required to replicate something even seemingly close is just not possible with the time we had. I would have been better off buying a wig. However, the bun I made looks all-too familiar and easily replicable. It's the infamous "messy bun" that has plagued us on tumblr and pinterest alike. After flipping my hair upside down, and securing the half ponytail, I began to pin random parts of my hair with bobby pins. To complete the look, pull out hair gently, from areas you want to "loosen" up and voila! You have yourself a messy bun.

 I was told by Carmen to make sure I kept my nails really simple (apparently I have a hard time doing so). Thus, I chose a blue-based grey. The nail color really blends in well, and I bet before you read this, it was not even noticed. :P Yes, I was as surprised as you were when I picked this up from Aldo a couple years ago. Having a rather decent selection of nail polishes was a nice surprise since they specialize in shoes afterall.


Face:
- skin79 super beblesh balm triple functions
- benefit the porefessional
- physicians formula gentle cover concealer stick
- benefit moonbeam
- estee lauder bronze goddess soft matte bronzer
- sleek makeup blush by 3 in lace

Eyes:

- etude house LUCIDarling fantastic gradation eyes in #8
- kanebo kate gel e/l in bk-1
- sephora luxe noir palette in gold

Lips:

- mac l/s in myth
- nyx l/s in orange soda
- sleek makeup blush by 3 in lace
- hyatt beauty l/g in 8

Nail:

- orly bonder basecoat
- aldo bauhaus architect
- poshe topcoat


Anyways, did you all have a good weekend? Maybe one day Carmen will post about her first day back to school on here so we can all have a good laugh. :) Until next time!

xx,
C&D

2 comments:

  1. I really love this outfit + your blog. So glad I stumbled onto your site :)

    ReplyDelete

... ... ...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...